Friday, October 24, 2014

Do Ebola Cases Point to Further Weaknesses?

It was through BBC News, May 2014, that I first saw reports on the current Ebola outbreak.  That led me to track the outbreak through Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières, the World Health Organization, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).  One could follow the spread toward population centers and the estimated deaths.  After a lack of media coverage and a lack of a much broader international response to theirs calls for help, my first social media post of the Ebola outbreak went up late June 2014.
Also, BBC and CDC websites led me to a list of infectious diseases categorized the same as Ebola.  All had personal protective equipment (PPE) requirements the same as the initial CDC guidance for Ebola.  I wondered if that PPE was sufficient for anything on the list. Please provide feedback on:
- Do you believe the U.S Ebola cases points to weaknesses with PPE and protocols for all infectious diseases?
- What is your view on whether we really know how well nurses are protected from hospital acquired infections?
I appreciate your response.

2 comments:

  1. I have some problems with information the News Media is putting out.
    1. The news keeps saying '21 days" out of danger. I understood that there was a documented case where one woman was contagious for 46 days during a previous outbreak.
    2. Additionally they say it takes an exchange of bodily fluids prior to the symptoms showing to inflect another person - I sneeze all the time from dust and pretty much so do many other people - so what's with that?
    3. I understand that there have been 4 individuals that have been documented to have 'only a slight fever' that was only 10's of a degree of the 'normal' body temperature of 98.6. That however is only an average. Body size weight and other factors determine a person's regular temperature. My body temperature has been averaging 97.2 for most of my adult life, so when I'm at "98.6" I actually have a degree and a half of fever. 'Standard Methodology' is a guide not actual fact.
    4. PPE that does not fully isolate medical / equipment maintenance
    / cleaning workers is a risk. They should be isolated too as long as they are treating infectious patients.
    5. In allowing “Self-imposed quarantines”, that doesn't restrict a probable exposed person to a clean area with no movement, are examples of low-moral fiber, lack of character and spineless leadership.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In number 5. Have self-imposed quarantines been used in the past and have they worked?

    ReplyDelete