Friday, October 4, 2013

Security Conference, Chicago, IL

The ASIS Conference was held in Chicago, IL, USA, September 24-27, 2013.  ASIS is the acronym for the American Society of Industrial Security.  However, ASIS is an international organization.  This was my first trip to ASIS.  It wasn’t on my original agenda but after hearing about six times, “Al, you should be there!” I decided I'd better go. 

I was traveling in Tennessee when I made that decision.  The decision required driving a car to catch a train to Chicago very early in the morning. It was pitch black.  My GPS announced with reassurance, “You have arrived.”  I looked to the left, darkness.  I looked in front of me, darkness beyond my headlights.  I looked to the right.  About 60 meters up a road the size of a bike path, I saw a light.  I thought, Surely not?  I drove up the path to a shelter.  I wouldn’t call it a trailer though it could be mistaken for one.  There was no visible sign of any activity. This was the train station.   Wait here two hours for a train…?  I travel with the capability to access two different major mobile carriers.  There was no signal on one and the other kept dropping my call.  I changed my reservations on my way to the next station.  Other than that, train service was great.


I arrived at ASIS late morning.  Registration was a breeze.  The staff was helpful though I never did actually find a booth number.  The conference really did help me begin to understand the security industry and its many aspects.  Exhibitors were great and offered many good contacts.  They taught me about some very interesting technologies and capabilities.  As always, it’s now a matter of converting some of those opportunities.      

No comments:

Post a Comment