Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Part 2, Limited Warranty on Patient Care

In Part 1, Michael Ryan and I discussed:
1. The definition of readmissions - CMS defines readmission as “an admission to a subsection (d) hospital within 30 days of a discharge from the same or another subsection (d) hospital.”
2.  Parties affected by the readmission penalties - If a hospital receives Medicare funds, the readmission reduction initiative applies… most likely.

In Part 2, Michael and I discussed 
3.  A concern from blog readers – how does patient responsibility figure in the readmissions scenario?
4.  How are penalty rules applied?
5.  Grants associated with reducing readmissions

 How does patient responsibility figure in the readmissions scenario?  It’s not as clear as one may think.  Here is a real example.  The names were changed.

    I received a call one evening from a couple very close to my family.   As you may have guessed, I was writing.  Raoul is an entrepreneur that has owned a stable business for 30 years.  Mae has a Master’s Degree and has received awards for her work.  They have health insurance.  
    Mae didn’t even bother to greet me.  Worry sent her into a high-pitched, high-geared request for help.  When she stopped, I asked her to start again.
    Mae responded, “You remember that Raoul had a knee replacement right?”
    “Yes!”
    “He wanted me to call you.  Something is not right.  It’s very swollen.  It looks so tight.  He’s in pain.”
    “So why are you calling me?” I asked.  “You should be calling the doctor or the hospital.  I’m sure they gave you the number.”
    “I looked. I didn’t see anything.”
    I knew that it was possible but not probable that the hospital had not given them anything.  
    “They gave you a bag, right? What happened when you got home?”
Mae fell silent.  Then, “Wait a minute.”
    I could not hear what she was doing.  Moments later, “I found something.  I’ll call you back.”
    “Don’t call me.  Call the doctor!”  
    She hung up.

What happened?  In getting home and comfortable, trying to make sure that everything was fine, key paperwork got separated.   The conversation prompted something in her mind that helped her locate the documents.

This incident could have ended in a preventable readmission.  Instead, Raoul and Mae were able to avoid an unplanned visit and had a good recovery.   So, was the incident totally the fault of Raoul and Mae?  Please share your thoughts in the comments area. 

Michael Ryan stated that this could be very typical of what happens.  “Discharge instructions are given to patients when they go home.  The instructions may contain subsets of instructions on diet, wound care, after visits, sometimes who to call, etc.  Even the most diligent patient is sometimes caught in a situation where they may not have read the discharge instructions.  Even when they do, discharge instructions can conflict.  The instructions may come from different sources or applications.   Hospital staff may not have read through all the instructions to insure there are no conflicts.  The instructions should be reviewed and put in layman’s terms.  This could help reduce readmissions as well.”

“Michael, can you give us an example?”

“I will give you one example.  A person was readmitted because of a surgical wound.  The instructions stated that the wound should be ‘dressed’ with a particular antibiotic.   Three days later, the patient ended up back in the hospital because the instructions did not say to put on a new bandage.

“Here, it appears that the patient sought to follow the instructions to the letter.  It may have been something as simple as not really knowing what dressing a wound meant.”  

Michael went on to say hospitals can’t take for granted that the average patient will understand instructions simply because they pulled it from a source.  

Readmission prevention from a policy standpoint is a work in progress at every level.  The penalties are meant to bring attention and action to reducing them.  The Centers of Medicaid and Medicare Services (CMS) looks to cut cost for hospital acquired infections and readmissions.  Michael stated that these 2 areas account for $25B USD in readmission costs.  One implication is that these payments could be counted as revenue for hospital, not leading to a comprehensive push by the respective providers to reduce them.


http://www.amazon.com/Covering-Assets-Exposing-Butt-Ugly-ebook/dp/B007OM83GU


Let’s put that $25B in perspective.  Between 2009 and 2011, the Federal government sent about $90B to the states.  So that’s a little more than 1/4 of 2 years of funding.  

Michael remarked, “CMS sought to figure out a starting point to measure readmission reduction.  They acknowledge that readmissions will never go completely away.”  

CMS uses a code called DRG (Diagnosis-Related Group) to identify targeted categories: Acute Myocardial Infarction, Heart Failure, and Pneumonia.   What follows is a mathematical story that has a progression of ratios as the plot.  Among those ratios is a comparison of payments for readmissions over payments for discharges.  To restate, CMS  compares the amount of money that it has paid to a particular hospital at which  beneficiaries/clients were treated and discharged.  CMS then compares how much they have paid for treatments that landed their beneficiaries back into the hospital.   If the hospital exceeds CMS’ target, up to 1% is deducted from the hospital reimbursements for 2013.   The maximum penalty will increase to 2% in 2014. "The penalty is a three year rolling average which goes into effect the beginning of each fiscal year," stated Michael.


Also, there are positive incentives meant to help reduce readmissions.  This takes the form of grants.  The grants are administered through Hospital Engagement Networks (HENS).  This initiative is a joint public and private collaborative.  HENS work at the Federal, state, and regional level “to keep patients from being harmed while in the hospital and heal without complication once they are discharged.” – CMS Website

9 comments:

  1. This is a real problem, and has several aspects. First is the issue of patient understanding of instructions. Between language barriers and simple lack of working medical knowledge, many patients struggle even when they have good intentions. Providers are trained to try and determine whether patients understand but this is a big human challenge.

    Another issue is the means of delivery of the instructions. Paper handouts are the most common, and in the example above these were misplaced. Some providers are exploring electronic tools to convey the instructions, such as through a patient web portal or to a Personal Health Record. This holds promise as a way to ensure the availability of the information, but still require patient engagement to use the resource.

    Hard to say who should pay - both the provider and the patient have responsibilities here. The only realistic lever the payers have is to penalize the providers if they don't demonstrate better outcomes. But it's hard to argue that they are the only ones with obligations.

    Better communication tools such as portals can help but it really does take a team, and ongoing follow-up with the patient to address this problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to know often what instructions that are critical first – what are the danger signs and what I should do.

    Next, I want to know what are the good signs I should see once I have been released from the hospital. Just ‘feeling ok’ doesn’t tell me if I on the road to improvement. That could be the medicine talking to me.

    Finally I want to when my next appointment is, exactly when it is dated for and the location, on a clearly printed specially marked paper.. I have been told by a doctor to see me in ‘two weeks’, only to find out that his appointment service will not schedule for two months. Also with that is it turned out to be another doctor and in a different part of the city. My wife didn’t know because she didn’t know Louisville KY well and I was too ‘Whoopee!’ to care. Quite a disconnect there.

    As for what Joe Ketcherside said above, “First is the issue of patient understanding of instructions.” Agreed! An just because I speak good English does not mean I speak good M.D. Latin.

    I agree with Joe also when he says, “But it's hard to argue that they are the only ones with obligations.”

    One of the things I would like to see in hospitals is a type of ‘Patient Advocate’. These could be volunteers similar to candy-stripers, but instead they are to ensure that common instructions are understood by departing patients. They could be retired nurses, nurse aides or even nurses who need (after all nurses get injured too) a light work schedule.

    I’m not sure it would actually be feasible, but it’s a workable idea. My grandmother was an RN in a small town. She lived to be 84 and the last 20 years of life she found great happiness at being a help to the clinic she worked in for forty years. She was able to answer phones, field quires, and even made sure the doctors schedules didn’t conflict. One of the doctors commented that whenever she wrote a message he could read it and more importantly she could read his notes.

    That’s last bit has to be priceless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, great remarks with personal touches.

      Delete
  3. The "dress your wound" story should be a reminder to all who work in healthcare that there can be language and understanding problems even when English is spoken by all.

    "Dress your wound" begs the question of "you mean, like, put a smart suit on it?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great comments and use of satire to make point.

      Delete
  4. As I have had experience with this I would like to add that a follow up phone call from the discharge nurse to check on the patient would be a great thing. I had surgery a few years ago and as it was same day surgery was released when I could remember my name and birth date.
    I was given follow up instructions verbally when I left (while high as a kite on pain medicine) and my spouse was given written instructions and told I had been instructed on what not to do.
    I went home and never remember anything the nurse said. After sleeping off most of the medication I awoke in extreme pain. I was apparently told to not let the pain meds wear off and to take more in two hours.
    My spouse read the instructions but it just said to give the meds as needed for pain. It took her calling the hospital to find out what to do and basically give me a double dose which was ok'd by my doctor so I did not have to go back to the hospital.
    It was made worse as I can only sleep on one side and even though I went to bed on my back turned on the side with the surgery.
    When I could understand the instructions the next day I had to rig the bed so I could not turn in my sleep.
    All went well after that.
    In all it would have been more appropriate to have the person taking me home in on the discharge instructions before I left or to have a follow up call after a few hours to make sure instruction were understood.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great article Al! I agree with the comments and would like to offer another window of opportunity for improvement. My 85 year old father (broken hip) was discharged home on a Friday afternoon with aftercare scheduled beginning Monday. Luckily, we worked with the hopsital ortho team to make sure we had everything he would need to be safe until we could install new railings/hand guards, etc. We've had an earlier experience of weekend discharge without being able to buy the needed medical equipment until Monday and it was very frustrating. Now, my whole family starts talking discharge as soon as the patient is stabilized. In my experience, the staff is pleased and even grateful that we bring it up. I believe it is my responsibility as a family member to ask questions until I understand what will be needed at home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Manizheh July 20

    It is very interesting article . There is significance cost related to readmission ,It is a great job to find the factors related to readmission and minimize them . This can be one by doing proper research about readmission and cost related . I believe It is impossible to see the real facts without investigating the matter ,therefore I cant give any comment . we can't look at it through different Independence events experienced by different people .

    ReplyDelete